Etiquette at Public Forums
Follow these guidelines to ensure that everyone has an enjoyable visit to the Capitol and other public facilities.
- Food and beverages (including bottled water) are prohibited in the committee rooms and in the House and Senate Chambers.
- Silence your cell phone or other electronic devices and do not talk on your cell phone during the committee/floor meeting.
- Remove hats while inside the Capitol.
- If a committee room is full there are usually “overflow” rooms for additional seating.
- If elected officials say something during a committee or floor discussion that you do not agree with, do not boo or yell. Likewise, do not applaud or cheer in support of comments that align with your position.
- If you are interested in speaking at a committee meeting, see How To Provide Public Testimony for more information.