Advocating for individual and family supports and services for Louisiana’s citizens who experience developmental disabilities.
LaCAN is a statewide grassroots network of individuals, families and advocates who have worked together since 1988 advocating for a service system that supports individuals with disabilities to live in their own homes rather than having to be segregated from their communities in a facility to receive support. Specifically, they have advocated for implementation of Louisiana’s Community and Family Support System Plan.
Regional LaCAN teams include family members, individuals with disabilities, advocates and professionals. These members are notified by email or phone when communication with state agency officials, legislators or the Governor is necessary. LaCAN provides information and support to individuals wishing to effectively advocate for the expansion and improvement of individual and family supports and services for people with disabilities and their families through email updates, regional workshops, regional team leaders, and personal contact.
- Children, regardless of the severity of their disability, need families and enduring relationships with adults in a nurturing home environment. As with all childern, children with developmental disabilities need families and family relationships to develop to their fullest potential.
- Adults with developmental disabilities should be afforded the opportunity to make decisions for themselves and to live in typical homes and communities where they can exercise their full rights and responsibilites as citizens.
Linking lawmakers, self-advocates, and families to make a difference for individuals with disabilities.
LaCAN's 2015 Legislative/Advocacy Agenda
Click the links below to read the fact sheets for each agenda item:
- Fund 500 New Waiver Slots to End the Wait
- Increase Funding for Infants and Toddlers with Disabilities
- Increase Rates for Home and Community Based Waiver Providers
- Preserve the Louisiana Network of Family-Directed Resource Centers
- Frequently Asked Questions